Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wool


One of the things that I need to learn is to spin. With having an Angora goat, I need to do something with all that wool. I am a crocheter and always need yarn. So, my daughter and I went to the opening of a new fiber store in Wamego Kansas.
DSC08976
It took two and a half hours to get there, but it was worth it. The fibers were all natural and the shop was awesome.

I learned to spin on a spindle. The owner told me this was what I needed to learn first. Not an easy thing to do. I continue to practice, but not doing very well.
DSC08981

Align CenterDSC08991
She showed us various types of spinning wheels, which was real interesting. Especially, the one made out of PVC pipe.
DSC08995
I, of, course bought some wool to use and just really enjoyed the trip. Now to making or spinning wool. What a task. I will just keep on keeping on, till I figure it out.

2 comments:

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

I tried a spindle and it was a good experience to learn the drafting concept but you will be so happy when you move on to a wheel. It's far less frustrating. I have a Louet S10 and love, love, love it!

You might also need to add at least 10% wool to the mohair if you are spinning for projects. Mohair doesn't have the memory wool does.

Good luck and have fun!!!! ...and welcome to the fold!

Given55 said...

Yellow Jacket,

You are so kind. I got to try a Louet S10. It was wonderful. I had heard that I needed to had a little wool to the mohair. But, did not realize it was because of memory. Thanks for the advice.